Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Answer

In their time these were quite the thing. These are plates that go into a planter to space out the seeds. You load the seed into a planter hopper - and these plates are at the bottom of the hopper. They go around as you move the planter and "somehow" only one seed is released for a certain distance that the planter travels. I am a visual learner - so I don't entirely get this or even how to explain it.

Each type of seed has a different size planter. These are for corn. Before this invention came about, there wasn't any way to automatically control how many seeds were planted at a time - unless you did it by hand. I believe these were used around the 1940's.

I liked this picture because of the texture of both the wood background and the old parts. Thanks for stopping by.

2 comments:

  1. In that case, they must have been smaller than the picture suggest. What a nifty invention though. When field sizes increased, sowing by hand was no longer feasible . The invention probably enabled the expansion of the field size.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually they are about the size of the length of my hand - perhaps 5-6" in diameter as I recall.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are closed - due to spam on my blog.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.