Monday, February 8, 2010

The Community Store - MyWorld

This little community store was built some time in the early 1930's by Henry Ford. At that time it was part of Mr. Ford's school system. It was a place where the kids could learn the skills to manage a retail business: keep inventory, meet customers , handle the money, etc. They sold school books and other school supplies in addition to other necessary items. This little store still serves the surrounding community

Today it is a family run business located at the intersection of two country roads. If you run out of milk or bread or just want a newspaper, this is a convenient place to stop. The product line has changed over the years to keep up with their customers. Today you can rent a movie. They even have food for your cat.

Whenever we are travelling, we like to stop at these community stores. They are a wonderful source of local information - where to eat and what to see.


For more My World pictures from photographers around the world click here.

13 comments:

  1. Stores like that are the best! It's one of the reasons I LOVE living in a small town.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post and I love those "mom and pop" stores. Those are the ones where you feel like a human being instead of a number and dollar sign! Hope you have a great week, Gwendolyn1

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great, I love to stop at places like that just to look around. They just feel 'good' to be in, especially if the folks running it are smiling and talkative.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos! My Muskoka has a few small town stores, too. Nothing like your twin towers photo! Lots of rocks and lakes and SNOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I lived in a rural area we had such a store. You knew the proprietor and the other customers. It is gone now and we have moved away but I still have fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is what i miss with country/small town living. thanks for sharing.

    my post is at www.ewok1993.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Small shop in a small town... they're the best. Best source of information and best way to feel the essence of the town. I will never miss the opportunity to stop by a mom and pop store. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the name "mom and pop" store. Sounds very nice. I don´t think we have this type of stores anymore here...sad. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I grew up in Indiana and remember some little stores from my childhood. These are places that we sure need around.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i actually like small stores more than the big ones. It has this homey feeling that's quite absent from their bigger counterparts. My world entry is here.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great photo!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stores like these are ones I love to support. Great pic.

    All the best
    Guy
    Regina In Pictures

    ReplyDelete
  13. We, too, love the little country stores...and I love this photo.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are closed - due to spam on my blog.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.